Wednesday 3 March 2010

I Dream Of A Time Machine

So, not only is the title of this blog autobiographical, it's also a possible name for my first stand up show. For those who don't know I love my dreams, I've started making a record of them as of late, but that's a story for next week. Meanwhile, here's the explanation for last weeks nonblog and this week's lateness.

The real topic for this week is the second part of the saying, the whole "Time Machine" bit. I've always been fascinated with time, and Back To The Future is one of my all time favorite films. Recently, however, I've begun to resent time, and all it represents. which is normal i suppose, resenting something you are interested in, I mean someone who is really interested in venomous snake's isn't going to think "Oh crikey, this is lucky, I've always wondered how this would have felt, glorious day!" when bitten by a viper.

As you may have picked up, I'm a student, this leaves people like me with a large amount of work, and a constant desire for another four hours in each day. With assignments and coursework covering our free time more inefficiently than an overweight driving instructor, we are very rarely not stressed or strained, and therefore we come across as aggressive or angry, which has developed into a negative stigma attached to our entire generation. We are the ones, by the way, who are being blamed for everything; "global warming? well that's clearly young people's energy consumption"; "Street violence? Young people's gang culture that was totally not around before 1997"; "That weird smell old people give off?..." Ok so maybe not everything.

But it's not just we young people who're affected negatively by time; sometimes real life adults have to deal with a time restraint or deadline. This is what I am blaming for the adults unpredictable change in moods which rival even the most hormonal teenager. Add to this the constant worry about growing old, I'd say time is one of the top causes behind stress, behind workloads, children and call centres for real life adults.

But I'm not really wanting to talk about time restrictions and what not, even though I've spent about two hundred words talking about it. Really I want to talk about the ability to travel through time, hence the time machine title, and fix bad things that you've done, or mistakes you've made, And I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this sort of thing.

Imagine, it would be just like being able to have a "save game" feature in life, except you don't have to pre-think the save, just rewind and try again: Tripped over a paving stone in front of an attractive member of the opposite sex? Just rewind and pick up your feet. Mess up your order in a restaurant? Reverse back and learn to pronounce the kicking K in Bruschetta. Propose to someone who doesn't really love you? Oh well you get the idea.

But you know what? I think the most useful thing that I'd use the time machine for would be something I alluded to a while ago in one of my entries, when you like someone and are too afraid to say anything to them, because you're so infatuated when you speak to them you turn into a sort of putty creature (soft and squishy on the inside, not the putties from power-rangers... they were lame). The a few weeks, months or years later you find out that they had the same feelings towards you. This has happened to me on countless occasions, and has annoyed, angered and caused great distress each and every time. Now if you were able to use a delorian, or watch, or tea cosey to travel back to that first incident, you'd be pretty happy I reckon.

But then again, time is so complex, and the Universe so deep that there is probably a reason for everything that happens, and there is probably a reason I never asked Ms Sayles out when she was single in year 8.

Joe Strange
Ironically, he doesn't wear a watch

No comments: